A network firewall is a type of network security device that can be either hardware- or software-based. The firewall monitors all the incoming or outgoing traffic and also blocks unknown security rules. This will prevent or set a limit on illegal access for private access. To access the firewall, click on Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security and turn on the Firewall and Network Protection toggle.
The Microsoft Defender firewall shows three options for the following network types: domain networks (Workplace), private networks (Discoverable), and public networks (Non – Discoverable).
Options Shown on Network Firewall
The following options are shown below on the Network Protection page:
- Allow the application through the firewall and add an exception.
- Run the Network and Internet Troubleshooter to resolve the network issues.
- Allow notifications when the firewall blocks something.
- Restore all the firewalls as a default.
- With advanced settings, you can check connection security and monitor logs.
How to access the network firewall on Windows?
To access the firewall on Windows, follow the step-by-step guide:
- Click on the start menu or press the Windows key.
- Make sure that your device is successfully connected to a strong internet connection.
- Open the system settings and click on the Update & Security option.
- Select the Windows security option, and you’ll see the toggle to enable a firewall.
- Turn on the firewall toggle.
Alternative ways to access Network Firewall
- Click on the start option and open settings.
- Click on Privacy & Security and select the network profile: domain, private, and public network.
- Under Microsoft Defender Firewall, turn on the toggle for Network Firewall.
Through this firewall, you can block all the incoming connections and also those you include in the list of allowed applications. This will help you prevent cyberattacks by enforcing policies that block unauthorized traffic.
Read More Links: Sound Control Panel
Benefits of Firewall Security
There are several benefits to enabling Firewall Security:
- Enforce access to privileges to reduce risk because it only allows traffic that has been permitted.
- Prevent all unauthorized users from accessing the most sensitive and confidential data.
- Protect your network from cyber threats and also the malicious websites.