The proper way to clean a mechanical keyboard is using a micro fiber cloth and some gentle cleaning solution. For cleaning an air gun or vacuum cleaner are very much effective at removing crumbs and dust from mechanical keyboards. Keys can be detached with a key cap puller tool and then we can clean them individually with soapy water liquid.
Tools required for Cleaning of Mechanical Keyboards :
- Key-cap Puller
- Anti-Static Vacuum Cleaner is needed
- Microfiber Cloth
- Soft Brush for brushing
- A Container or Bowl
- Cleaners (Dish washing Detergent But Denture Tablets would be preferable)
- Cotton Swab
- Warm Water for general purpose.
- Isopropyl Alcohol (that is completely optional)
- Lubricant (it is also optional)
Process of Cleaning of Mechanical Keyboard Key-caps:
- Apart from the cleaning of a keyboard, the key caps can also collect dust and dirt through normal usage. It is a good thought to clean them time to time, and a most suitable time to clean them would be during deep cleaning sessions since they need to be removed from the keyboard.
- In most of the cases, light cleaning would be sufficient for the key caps. Wipe off the sides using a microfiber cloth. You can check easily if its key caps are fully cleaned by lighten them via flashlight or other bright sources.
- If key caps require deep cleaning, then you can wash them simply via warm water and dish soap. First, gather all of your key caps in a container with warm water and mix dish soap into it. Properly mix them for 30-40 seconds, then put your key caps into the solution.
- Let the key caps sit for minimum 30-35 minutes to allow any impurity or dirt to break down. Once you are done with it, let key caps dry with a microfiber cloth. It should take key caps about an hour normally to get fully dry.
How often do we need to clean Mechanical Keyboard?
The process of cleaning your mechanical keyboard should be done on a regular basis and cleaning dust and clearing debris should be on a daily basis. On the other hand, deep cleaning of it is not always required, but if you want to increase the longevity and for its better performance of your keyboard, we suggest you do it within a month.
Is it worth to get a mechanical keyboard instead of other keyboard ?
No doubt, Mechanical keyboards are definitely worth paying a premium. If you are into lot of typing on a daily basis then you’ll need type of keyboard that consume less energy since whenever you’re pressing the keys should make your keystrokes more smooth, accurate and will require significantly less efforts.