printer status change from offline to online
People who frequently use their printers may face an incident in which their printer goes offline on the go. In most cases it is a simple communication error that occurs at some point between the computer and the printer. But with some easy steps, the printer status changes from offline to online.
Related : how to change printer status to online windows 10 site microsoft.com
Note : Usually this will be the result of a previous error or a loose cable, but “offline” printers however can be due to problems with the printer driver or even the manufacturer software.
Reasons : printer status change from offline to online
- Printer not communicating with PC.
- The printer is not connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the PC.
- The printer is in offline mode.
Solutions : printer status change from offline to online
Restart your printer and check its connectivity –
- First of all turn off your computer and printer.
- Then unplug the printer’s power cable, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in.
- Wait again for the printer to boot up completely.
- It will not return from standby, so it may take longer than usual.
- Once the printer is on, turn your computer back on and see if the printer is now online.
Change Your Printer Status –
- Go to Windows Settings : Press the Win + I key combo on your keyboard.
- Navigate to Devices > Printers and Scanners.
- Select the printer which is showing as offline.
- Now, click on Open Queue.
- In the Print Queue window, select Printer Offline.
- You will now see a message that says “This action will change the printer from offline to online.”
- After clicking on Confirm, the status of your printer will change to Online.
- If this solution doesn’t work, move on to the next one.
Remove and Add Printers –
If the above solution doesn’t work, try removing the printer from the system and adding it again. This is a fairly simple process. However, you may also need to download some drivers and OEM applications.
Run Printer Troubleshooter –
The Printer Troubleshooter is part of the Windows in-house troubleshooting package and is designed to solve a variety of printer problems on your PC, including driver errors, connectivity issues, restarting printer-related services, etc.
- Navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshooting.
- Click on the Printer Troubleshooter to launch the tool.
- Select the Printer Troubleshooter, and run it
- This will help you to fix the offline status of the printer.
Network Printer Troubleshoot –
After trying the above solution, if the printer status still displays as “Offline” and the device is connected to another computer, then there might be some network issue. This situation arises when Windows Defender Firewall detects the device as malware or someone has intentionally blocked the printer. To resolve this bug, simply disable Windows Defender Firewall.