BM is an acronym for Bad Manners that is use within Hearthstone to describe intentionally unpleasant behavior. In online competitive games, players use BMs to annoy an opponent, to rejoice and rejoice in their victories, and simply to drag the game out. BM is mainly enacting through the use of emotion and intentional wasting of time or unnecessary actions.
If someone tells that a player is BMing in the game, it simply means that they are being disrespectful to other players or are doing something that is unsporting.
Some Common Ways of BMing:
- Inappropriate Communication in voice/chat channel
This includes yelling at other players, making derogatory or vulgar remarks, and anything related to bad speech.
A lot of games use emotions as nice cosmetic additions that are often part of the rewards of certain events or challenges. Not all emotions are meant to be “good fun,” and some emotions, such as laughing or crying, can annoy or irritate people.
- Distressing your own Team
Some people like to BM their team, such as intentionally killing an enemy team for free, building walls to block their teammates, choosing characters that are mediocre just for show, killing their own teammates, etc.
Why Do People BM in Gaming?
The use of BM ultimately depends on the attitude and personality of the person doing it. Not all BMs are terrible; If a player is BMing as a way to present friendly humor and he is doing so within bounds, that is an acceptable and sensible case.
BM can also serve the following purposes:
- Harmless BMing: wishing them well before a game, appreciating them after they’ve been defeated or just enjoying the fancy feelings that the game has to offer can all be considered as a way of playing.
- Psychological Method: To make opponents angry or distracted because in a competitive landscape every advantage counts. If you beat your enemy in four-five games, chances are they will be scared the next time they face you.
- Reaction to Opponent BM: A lot of players BM only when their enemies do first.
BMing in PC and Mobile Games
- Fortnite: BMing in Fortnite occurs when players shoot down an enemy, and when their opponents are watching their gameplay. The person spends an entire minute spamming his collection of emotions. Take L, The Infinite Dub or Laugh It Up are some of the most popular expressions in Fortnite Battle Royale and often used interchangeably by people with BM.
- Hearthstone: Hearthstone players BM emotions and other actions such as going way too long for each turn, or creating overkill forces for even the most brutal defeat when completely unnecessary.
- League of Legends: League of Legends, like many other multiplayer video games, suffers from an excessive amount of BMing. League of Legends game is usually fill with trash talk from BMers, especially in the ranked lobby. Players also use some of the most annoying emotions such as masturbation, laughter, or sarcasm to provoke other people.
What can I do to prevent BM?
Many games offer ways to reduce or counteract BM. For example, some games that use emotes allow you to disable them on your ends such as the “Squelch” feature in Hearthstone and the “Mute” button in Clash Royale. Similarly, some games allow you to mute a player’s voice or messages individually.