What is a google voice verification code?
Never share verification codes with anyone, in SMS or over the phone. These codes are the main way a service verifies that you are you. Enable two-factor authentication wherever possible. Even if you lose access to your e-mail account, at least that will protect your other accounts from theft.
The scammer is, in reality, going through the Google Voice setup process. They tell Google Voice to call your personal number, and then the call speaks the code, or the text message supplies the code, along with a warning to not share the code with anyone.
What is google voice and Why it use?
Google Voice is a telephone service provided by Google Account customers in the United States, Canada, Denmark, France, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. and Google Workspace customers in the U.S. Provides phone number. It is used for call forwarding and voicemail services, voice and text messaging, as well as for U.S. and international. Calls are forwarded to a phone number that each user must configure in the Accounts web portal. Users can answer and receive calls on any phone configured to ring in the web portal. While answering a call, the user can switch between the configured phones. United States members can make outgoing calls to domestic and international destinations. The service is configured and maintained by users in a web-based application, similar in style to Google’s email service Gmail, or Android and iOS applications on a smartphone or tablet.
Google Voice can be used to make domestic and international calls or send and receive text messages from the browser. Also, the code can be used to gain access to Gmail accounts and hijack them. The message Google sends warns recipients not to share the number with anyone, as in at least one case, scammers hid the message by sending it in a foreign language. Scammers often use Google Voice numbers in fraudulent advertisements on marketplace websites or for other criminal activities, concealing their true identity and leaving the victim as the guilty party. Sometimes scammers are looking for other information about the target that they can use to access online accounts or open new accounts in the victim’s name.
Steps to sign up for google voice verification code:
If you want sign up for google voice verification code then follow these steps:
- Go to https://voice.google.com in your computer’s web browser.
- Open the Google Voice setup page if you’re logged into a Google account.
- Enter your email address and password before proceeding.
- Click the text box in the middle of the page, then type in a city name or a ZIP code (e.g., 96703).
- Click the blue SELECT button to the right of the phone number that you want to use.
- Then click verify button.
- Enter your actual phone number.
- Then click send code.
- Open your phone’s texting app, open the text from Google (usually a five-digit number), and review the six-digit code in the body of the text.
- Google’s text will say something like “123456 is your Google Voice verification code.”
- Enter six-digit code into the text field.
- Click “VERIFY” button.
- Click “CLAIM” button. This will confirm that you want to use the associated phone number with your Google Voice account.
- Click “FINISH” button.