RAM, stands for Random Access Memory, this is a hardware device usually located on the motherboard of a computer and acts as an internal memory of the CPU. It allows CPU store data, program, results when you switch on the computer. It is the read and write memory of a computer, which means the information can be written to it as well as read from it. This is short for random access memory. It’s called random access because the data can be quickly read and modified in any order.
Why is Random Access Memory so important ?
RAM process data at lightning-fast speeds. Its ability to randomly access data means you can get to any spot in the random access memory just as quickly as any other spot. It sits on top of the processor, which explains your processor can do tasks seemingly spontaneously. Computer random access memory is one of the most important components in your system performance. It gives applications a place to store and access data on a short-term basis. It stores the information your computer is actively using so that it can be accessed quickly.
How many types of RAM ?
There are 5 types of Random Access Memory :-
- Static RAM (SRAM).
- Dynamic RAM (DRAM).
- Synchronous Dynamic RAM (SDRAM).
- Single Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic RAM (SDR SDRAM).
- Double Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic RAM (DDR SDRAM, DDR2, DDR3, DDR4).
What are the functions of RAM in Computer/ Laptop/ Mobile Phones ?
- Reading Files- Your computer hard disk stores large amounts of data. And because of storing large amounts of data, the hard disk slowdown of your computer works.
- Temporary Storage- That program or files of the computer which have been used, then random access memory saves the data in a temporary way.
- Load a software application- Any software or application opens in the computer using Ram itself.
Note – The work that RAM Memory does on computers, does the same work on laptops and mobiles and also on other devices.
What are the uses of Random Access Memory ?
- This, is used as a short-term memory for computers to place its data for easy access.
- The more random access memory a computer has, the more data it can usually occurs at any given moment.
- This is used to process information immediately.
- It is significantly faster than a hard disk .