The most common reason to merge cells is for formatting and centering headings. Merging cells is one of Excel’s basic features in formatting spreadsheet in excel, available in vertical and horizontal patterns. Just choose a range, select what to merge, pick a delimiter to separate values, click the Merge button – your cells are combined in a second with no values lost. Merge cells in excel is easy.
How to merge cells ?
Merge Selected Cells :
- Select the cells and highlight them with your mouse in one cell, holding Shift, then using the arrows to select to the end.
- Press the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl + 1 to open the Format Cells dialogue box.
- Click on the Alignment in Computer and center to place the title in the center of the merged cells and set a background color.
Merge Two Cells in Excel :
- Highlight the two adjacent cells you want to merge.
- Under the Home tab > ‘Merge’ icon > ‘Merge Cells’.
- Finally! You’ve merged the cells.
Merge and Center Cells in Excel :
- Highlight the cells you want to merge.
- Select Home tab > ‘Merge’ icon > ‘Merge & Center.’
- Your cells will merge and the data will be centered within the cell.
Merge Cells in Excel Shortcut :
- Merge Cells: ALT H+M+M
- Merge & Center: ALT H+M+C
- Merge Across: ALT H+M+A
- Unmerge Cells: ALT H+M+U
- Click ‘Tools’ > ‘Customize Keyboard.’
- Select Categories > ‘Home Tab’ > ‘Merge Cells.’
- Select ‘Press new keyboard shortcut.’ Type the key combination for your shortcut.
- Click ‘OK’ or you can use CONTROL+M to merge cells in Excel.
- Set up additional shortcuts for Merge Across, Merge & Center, or Unmerge.
How does Merge Cells work?
Select your range and choose what to merge: columns, cells, or rows. Now, indicate a separator for the combined values, it can be space, comma, semicolon, line break, or any separator of your choice. Choose to clear the contents of the selected cells, merge all areas in the selection, skip empty cells, and wrap text. Click Merge and the result is ready in a few seconds.