The advent of various screen devices in the present era has led to the development of wireless casting services. Miracast service is very popular in the fields of business, education and entertainment. Vendors and those in the business community often use the new technology to project something on a larger screen without the hassle of connecting a DVI or HDMI wire. This has also provided a great deal of convenience to the students and teachers. In our today’s guide, we’ll give you a complete overview of Miracast technology. We will also talk about how it is used, and what are its advantages and disadvantages.
This enabled wireless screen-casting in an easy way without relying on external hardware or software. Miracast support is on board if you are using an Intel or other partner motherboard and compatible processor.
How does Miracast work?
Miracast is a technology that is woven into the motherboard and enables casting by setting up your own WiFi network using the Wi-Fi Direct standard. It is also called “HDMI over WiFi”. Miracast set up a peer-to-peer connection or we can say it creates its own WiFi network. The sender becomes the Miracast source and the other device becomes the Miracast receiver.
Related: miracast windows 10 not working
It does not require any external network or connection to work. Miracast can operate independently if two devices support the technology. It is an exceptional technology that removes the complexities and provides simple ways to connect and mirror displays.
How does Miracast protect content?
It uses industry-standard protection of premium content through support for High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). HDCP is a content protection mechanism that controls the transfer of media between the devices generating the protected content (source) and the display device (sink). The purpose of this element is to protect the digital rights of content owners and to encourage their efforts to make their content available.
Miracast vs Google Chromecast vs Airplay
These are three different wireless display technologies that have different advantages and disadvantages. However, This is quite different from the remaining two options as both requires different hardware to operate. But, Miracast support comes on almost every Windows and Android device.
There are many other differences between these tools and technologies. You can check out our Miracast vs Google Chromecast guide here. Also, here is the difference between Chromecast and Android TV.
Benefits of Miracast
- Easy to Connect – It provides hassle-free connectivity across supported devices. Users can also connect without any external connectivity. It’s only a few taps before mirroring or casting on other devices.
- Reduces Cost – Miracast does not require any additional hardware or software which significantly reduces the cost of individual hardware, including cables and adapters.
- Saves time and effort – This quickly replaced the cumbersome primitive way of connecting two displays that involved a lot of time and effort. This is a boon for educational institutions, corporates, and other institutions that depend on casting.
- Saves Bandwidth – Casting a display over a network requires a lot of bandwidth and even the quality depends on the network speed. with some barbies
- Quality – It can cast or mirror the primary display with 1080p HD video and 5.1 surround sound.
- Security – The connection between the two machines is done through WPS. It is secure with WPA2 security certification programs.
- Cross-platform compatibility – It has support for Windows, Linux, Android and Blackberry operating systems.