There are multiple ways available to test speed of your Internet connection. In this article, we’ll describe tools for testing your Internet connection speed or do a quick speedtest.
Since, Performance of Internet can fluctuate based on your internet service provider (ISP), your network and your computer configuration.
Speedtest by Google:
Google offers a tool for testing your Internet connection speed directly from the web browser.
- Firstly, Open a browser, type ‘google.com‘ in the address bar, and press ‘Enter‘.
- In the Google search box, type speedtest, and then press Enter or click ‘Google Search‘.
- As you’ll see, in the top search result, click the ‘run speed test‘ button.
How fast should my connection be?
The following details gives examples of required speeds for different tasks:
- Online Gaming – Between 15-20 Mbps.
- Standard definition video streaming- Between 2-3 Mbps.
- Streaming 720p HD video – Between 3-5 Mbps.
- 1080p HD video streaming – Between 4-8 Mbps.
- 4K Ultra HD video streaming – Between 11-15 Mbps.
- Streaming music – Between 1-2 Mbps.
What should I do to improve my speed?
A slow speed of internet could be due to any number of factors. The key points are given below so you can take to try and improve your speeds:
Restart your modem and router
Over time, they may become choked by errors or end up using too much processing power. So because all these a simple reset may help speed things up.
Try using an Ethernet connection instead of Wi-Fi
Sometimes, it is possible that there can be wireless interference or an unreliable signal. By connecting via Ethernet, you may have a more stable connection with a higher speed.
Close programs or apps that are in still running
Since, a lot of programs use the Internet. The less you have running the background, the faster you’ll be able to browse.
Contact your Internet service provider (ISP)
There may be a shortage or issue that is going on with the Internet in your area. The company will be able to inform you if this is possible case.