how to test my internet speed
There are multiple ways available to test speed of your Internet connection. In this article, we’ll describe tools for testing your Internet connection speed or do a quick speedtest.
Since, Performance of Internet can fluctuate based on your internet service provider (ISP), your network and your computer configuration.
Speedtest by Google:
Google offers a tool for testing your Internet connection speed directly from the web browser.
- Firstly, Open a browser, type ‘google.com‘ in the address bar, and press ‘Enter‘.
- In the Google search box, type speedtest, and then press Enter or click ‘Google Search‘.
- As you’ll see, in the top search result, click the ‘run speed test‘ button.
How fast should my connection be?
The following details gives examples of required speeds for different tasks:
- Online Gaming – Between 15-20 Mbps.
- Standard definition video streaming- Between 2-3 Mbps.
- Streaming 720p HD video – Between 3-5 Mbps.
- 1080p HD video streaming – Between 4-8 Mbps.
- 4K Ultra HD video streaming – Between 11-15 Mbps.
- Streaming music – Between 1-2 Mbps.
What should I do to improve my speed?
A slow speed of internet could be due to any number of factors. The key points are given below so you can take to try and improve your speeds:
Restart your modem and router
Over time, they may become choked by errors or end up using too much processing power. So because all these a simple reset may help speed things up.
Try using an Ethernet connection instead of Wi-Fi
Sometimes, it is possible that there can be wireless interference or an unreliable signal. By connecting via Ethernet, you may have a more stable connection with a higher speed.
Close programs or apps that are in still running
Since, a lot of programs use the Internet. The less you have running the background, the faster you’ll be able to browse.
Contact your Internet service provider (ISP)
There may be a shortage or issue that is going on with the Internet in your area. The company will be able to inform you if this is possible case.