The ‘.NET Framework‘ is defined as an open source developer platform which you can use to create a broad range of applications. This cross-platform framework accepts multiple coding languages like C#, Visual Basic, etc. and features large code libraries that make it easy to build applications for mobile devices, desktops, the web and the Internet of Things. Its application runs only to the Windows platform.
The main purpose of .Net framework is to develop an application that can run on the windows platform. The current version of the .Net framework is 4.8.
Basically, It is used to develop Form based applications, web based applications, and web services. There is a variety of programming languages available on the .Net platform. As ‘.NET Framework’ supports more than 60 programming languages in which 11 programming languages are designed and developed by Microsoft.
.Net Framework Programming Languages:
11 Programming Languages which are designed and developed by Microsoft are listed below:
- WINDOWS POWERSHELL
- IRON RUBY
- IRON PYTHON
- C OMEGA
- ASML(Abstract State Machine Language)
.Net Framework Services
This framework offers the following services :
- Memory management, compilation, code execution and threads, verification of code safety etc.
- It executes code access security.
- This framework performs type-safety through a type-and-code verification infrastructure called CTS (common type system) to ensure code robustness.
- It can do Garbage collection, i.e. removing unwanted resources that serve no purpose in the library.
- It has Common Intermediate Language code (CIL) to allow operation internally among the different programming languages supported on .NET Framework.
- It also allows server-side applications like Microsoft SQL Server to host run-time.
Key Components of .NET Framework
There are following the key components of .NET Framework:
- CLR (Common Language Runtime)
- CTS (Common Type System)
- BCL (Base Class Library)
- CLS (Common Language Specification)
- FCL (Framework Class Library)
- .NET Assemblies
- XML Web Services
- Window Services