A web-based, file storage, and file synchronization service that allows users to store files and access them from any computer connected to the Internet. Users can also use it to share files with other people through a Web link, which can be sent via email or instant messaging services such as Google Talk, Facebook Messenger, Skype, etc., allowing others to view and download the shared files. Google drive supports file uploads of up to 5 TB and syncs files across multiple computers and devices through its applications on Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Chrome OS.
What are the Features of Google Drive?
Here’s a list of our favorite Google Drive features, some of which are really useful and you may not have come across.
- Secure access to your content: Store, share, and collaborate on files and folders from your mobile device, tablet, or computer.
- Built-in protection against malware, spam, and ransomware: Drive can provide encrypted and secure access to your files. Files shared with you can be proactively scanned and removed when malware, spam, ransomware, or phishing is detected.
- People-first collaboration apps to supercharge teamwork: Drive integrates with Docs, Sheets, and Slides, cloud-native collaboration apps that enable your team to create content and collaborate more effectively in real time.
- Integration with the tools and apps your team is already using: Drive integrates with and complements your team’s existing technology. Collaborate in Microsoft Office files without the need to convert file formats, and edit and store over 100 additional file types, including PDFs, CAD files, images, and more.
- Google’s Search and AI technology help your team move faster: Google’s powerful search capabilities are embedded in Drive and offer speed, reliability, and collaboration. And features like Drive search chips help your team find files fast by quickly surfacing more relevant results.
How Does Google Drive Work?
The account gives you access to all of Google’s services, including Drive, Gmail, Photos, YouTube, Play Store, etc. First, create or sign in to your Google Account. Then, if you’re a consumer, do the following:
- Go to drive.google.com. You’ll see “My Drive“, which has the files and folders you uploaded or synced, including any Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides, and Google Forms you created.
- If you don’t see any files in your Drive, then go ahead and upload files from your computer or create files in Drive. You can even work with Microsoft Office files in Drive.
- You can then share your files or folders in Drive so other people can view, edit, or comment on them.
- On your Android device, find and open the Google Drive app.
- As above, you’ll be able to access, upload, share and manage your Google Drive content through the app.
- It is integrated into other Google apps, like Photos, with universal access across your Android device.
iPhone or iPad
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Google Drive app.
- Just like Android and on a computer, you’ll have full access to your Drive and its contents.
How to Create a Google Drive Account?
If you have a Google account, you can access it by logging in to the Google Drive website or apps with your account information. Otherwise, you can create a Google account for free by following the steps below.
- Open your preferred web browser and go to www.drive.google.com.
- Click on the “Sign up at no cost.”
- Fill in your first and last name and enter a new, secure, password twice. Click Next.
- Now, enter your phone number to verify and click Next.
- A verification code will be sent as a text message to your mobile phone.
- Once you receive the message, enter the code and proceed to enter additional information.
- Read all of this information and then click on I Agree button. Now, your new Google account will now be created.
How Does Storage Work on Google Drive?
Google Account includes 15 GB of storage, which is shared across Gmail and Google Photos. To add to your storage quota, you can purchase a Google One membership, where available. Occasionally, you may receive more storage from a special promotion or related purchase. If you want more space then Upgrade prices are as follows:
- 100 GB – $1.99/mo.
- 1 TB – $9.99/mo. (most popular)
- 10 TB – $99.99/mo.
- 20 TB – $199.99/mo.
- 30 TB – $299.99/mo.
How do you upload files to Google Drive?
Open Google Drive on your desktop and open or create a folder, then drag and drop the files you want to upload into it. Or, alternatively, you can select New > File Upload or Folder Upload. Then choose the file or folder you want to upload and click Open.
How do you sync files to Google Drive?
- Open Google Drive > Setting icon > Preferences.
- Click “Add Folder” on the “My Computer” interface.
- Select the folders on your device to sync to Google Drive.