Closing the YouTube app will stop the video from playing, but there are a few simple workarounds that will allow you to listen to a video in the background.
How to Play YouTube Music in the Background on Android?
- Go to default browser and type youtube.com
- Search the video you want to play.
- Go to the Settings menu by tapping the three dots in the upper-right corner of the window. Afterward, tap Request Desktop Site.
- Start playing the video, and swipe up to close your browser.
Play YouTube Music in the Background on iPhone
- Open Safari and go to ‘YouTube.com‘
- Now search for the music video you want to listen to
- Tap the ‘Aa‘ icon in the youtube search bar
- Choose ‘request desktop site‘ from the drop down menu
- Hit ‘play’ on your video
At this point when you go back to your home screen, or lock your phone, the music will stop becuase the video stops playing. However, you can easily get it playing again, without going back to the browser.
- Drop down Control Center (or pull it up from the bottom if you have an iPhone with TouchID)
- Find the music playback widget
- It should have the song track labelled on it from the browser
- Hit the play button
Once you’ve done that and you drop down Control Centre, you should see the option to play the music again. Once it’s playing, you can lock your phone, and play and pause it from the lockscreen control or just go about your business using other apps on the phone.
To play it while the phone is locked, just lock your phone and you should see a music widget control on the lock screen. Tap play on that and music continues in the background.